PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My dream - advice please (collective thread)
Old 5th Jun 2014, 17:17
FullTanks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reality Check Required 2

I recently posted the following on another thread, but think it relevant here.
Please read and seriously consider; this is not the time to spend the equivalent of £100k, without a reasonable prospect of future employment. There is also now the reality that the previous options of instructing and a job on a propeller aircraft could soon, if not already, be a career cul-de-sac. There are too many airlines requiring a valid Type Rating on the jet type which they operate. Be VERY careful about embarking upon a self-selected training course. CTC have an outstanding record of placement, but in order to gain a place on the their 'Wings' programme, and be 'tagged', you will have to pass their strict assessment procedure.
Good luck in your endeavors, but consider all previous advice on this thread.

Reality Check Required
Whilst I appreciate that many self sponsored pilots who achieved fATPL/IR qualification have, in the past, managed to secure flying positions with major UK airlines, both of the legacy and low cost type, the recruiting position is now far more problematical.
The very limited places available on each year's BA FPP program ensure that they can recruit both the most suitable, those most likely to complete the demanding course and, importantly, those whom they consider will have little difficulty during their ensuing careers in passing recurrent checks and conversion courses.
The majority of those who have been selected by BA are not enthusiastic teenagers (as I once was), but those with established and well remunerated careers. They still have the enthusiasm but were prepared to forego commercial flying until BA launched their scheme in 2011. The integrated / tagged courses with the three major training providers gave similar employment prospects to their successful candidates.
As I have tried to impress upon those thinking of embarking on a SELF SPONSORED integrated or modular course - you are by definition SELF SELECTED. Sadly the schools may consider you trainable - that does not make you employable. The unemployable (by major airlines) are distorting the market and having to face the reality of no flying job and a massive loan repayment. If you are considered to be the 'Right Stuff' by a major airline, you will be tagged for a course or offered a place on a version of BA's FPP. If you embark on professional licence training in the current climate without such assurances you will have only yourself to blame if you fail to find employment upon qualifying / graduating.
If you are prepared to accept the reality, you can still have a wonderfully successful career in an entirely different and rewarding field and still enjoy the benefits of a PPL, possibly owning your own or a share in an aircraft. There can be few, if any, other occupations in which so many have qualified who thereafter find themselves among the long term unemployed.
Good luck, but please be realistic. This is a time to let your head rule your heart.