PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight deck positions at FlyDubai Master Thread - Merged
Old 5th Jun 2014, 12:54
Old King Coal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flilion: not sure quite what has your post got to do with price of fish and / or FZ and / or the subject matter in hand? Though, in response, in many respects the details within the article you've linked to, seem little different to the situation wrt women's prisons in (say) the UK. Basically, "If you can't do the time, then don't do the crime!", and especially so if you're the mother to young children.

vfr on top: One would imagine that you wear Serengeti sunglasses, i.e. the ones with those nice rose tinted lenses? Fwiw, I too have a pair, but I use mine for keeping the desert sun out of my eyes. It's for sure that you've not been here long enough to know the full history of it all (indeed, as far as one can tell, you've not even been in airline aviation all that long, have you?!), but, suffice to say, PBS was always on the cards; e.g. even being muted for implementation prior to day 1, wherein I can still recall KennyG telling us that PBS would be implemented (that was during our interview, back in Oct 2008, i.e. back when you, vfr, were still looking for your first airline job). That said, the subsequent reason for delay in its implementation was put down to a need to achieve a sort of "critical mass" in terms of aircraft & crew numbers (yes, that was the phrase that was used; uhm, what an amazing memory I have!). So, vfr, I suspect a few more decades in airline aviation will eventually tarnish your tinted glasses, just as it has done for most of us who've been in this business a LOT longer than you!

nakbin330: It will last, indeed just as much as the same Seniority based systems have lasted in all those USA airlines (i.e. where our management hail from), and likewise the same exact same seniority based systems in the likes of BA, Lufthansa, etc, have lasted... the flying program is being fully covered (we even have people on Standby, forsooth!) and, if there's any shortfall in the hours being achieved by the aircrew, that's more a function of the Commercial Dept than anything to do with Rostering. Just by doing some simple maths, maths which I'm sure even you can understand (albeit that one assumes that you also understand the rules defined with Part 'A' / Section 7 ?), it goes like this: If someone were to have 22 days off, in a month with 30 days = 8 days available to fly various routes. If those routes have a total block time, per duty, of 10˝ hours (and we do indeed have flights that will provide that level, or more, of block hours per duty) then, hey presto, you've done 85 block hours... which, I'm sure you'll appreciate, is the block-hour figure that the system likes to roster us to per month, because that then ties in nicely with the 900 blocks hours limit per annum (what with accounting for annual leave, sim sessions, recurrent ground school, etc). It's not exactly f'ing rocket science, is it ?!

Fwiw, I too will not be attending this evenings 'office' soirée, because 1) I'm flying tomorrow, and 2) the date of this jaunt is usually broadcast so late in the proceedings that, as air-crew, it's very hard to plan for in advance (even with a high seniority number ), and 3) the best party was the first one, i.e. the BBQ we had on the roof of the Marriott = legend!... and anything else would pale into insignificance in comparison, as those whom were there will surely testify!

Last edited by Old King Coal; 5th Jun 2014 at 14:20. Reason: To explain the bleedin' obvious to nakbin330