PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Grand Canyon Accident: Pilot killed in AS350 rollover
Old 5th Jun 2014, 12:34
Devil 49
"Just a pilot"

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Further to Canterbury Crusader, the largest HEMS provider in the USA defines lift to touchdown as the flight time to be recorded. Time spent on the ground, rotors turning is not flight time. Minimum flight creww has nothing to do with non-flight operations. Anyhow, that is how I've logged flight time, exactly time spent manipulating the controls for the purpose of flight since 1968. I've spent thousands of hours at ground and flight idle, in the boonies, day and night; off-shore, day and night; country-side; city-scapes; roof-tops; highways and byways; a rail right of way or two.

The company also permits their AS350 pilots to leave the controls, rotors turning. The process allowing that is defined in the FAA approved operations manual. Contrary to the assertions of some, it is not a casual event, undertaken without regard to risk. The PIC is always responsible. I have done so on occasion when I felt it required.

Whether or not one can imagine a circumstance where it is a better choice than shutting down, your lack of imagination isn't sufficient justification to deprive the pilot on scene of an option. The FAA does not prohibit it. The RFM may permit it. The owner allows it. The PIC might evaluate risk and decide it to be reasonable. All these are directly accountable and have standing to exercise control.

An aside- do any of your maintenance personnel hold run-up authorization????