PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 5th Jun 2014, 12:17
Xercules

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Albert's Travels

In answer to Coff's queries on Eastings and Westings:

My furthest East (wheels on) was Nadi, Fiji at 177 25 E. That is close to unbeatable, I would think although I am not claiming sole rights, unless anybody has flown into Gisborne, N Island, NZ at 178 01E.

Furthest West for me was Hickam but my guess is that Midway would qualify for the accolade. I do not know if anybody ever ventured down the Aleutian Chain.

Ref ExA's comment on dropping at Grytviken I would totally agree. East Cumberland Bay had 3 large glaciers flowing into it and the winds down these met at just the point you were supposed to do the drop. That said I was lucky with all my visits getting calm winds and clear skies, so much so that one one visit we went round into West CB and "attacked" Grytviken from the rear only chickening out when the slope ahead appeared to be steepening - it seemed a bit remote (with only 50 Gurkhas on hand in the garrison) to wind up attached the glacier ahead.

It always amazed me that the "Route" Squadrons were graciously allowed tasks to drop there but were apparently not up to the rigours of "normal" TS.