PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Simulator Training for strong crosswind landings
Old 5th Jun 2014, 10:35
Tee Emm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even full flight simulators (FFS), at present, are really just sophisticated procedure and systems trainers, although the aviation authorites pretend they can be beneficial to manual flying skills. But US FAA research says there is no evidence that manual flying skills can be taught in simulators - the skills simply do not transfer to the real aeroplane - See more at: Simulators get real - Learmount

I find that an astonishing statement and hard to believe. I recall the first simulator I flew was during a Boeing 737-200 type rating course in New Zealand 47 years ago. By todays standards it wasn't sophisticated. When on completion of the simulator training I then underwent dual instruction on the real 737, everything came quite naturally to me starting from the first taxiing. In fact the only difference I recall between the simulator and the real thing, was the aircraft I flew had extremely difficult reverse thrust lever movement which was most distracting on the landing run. It was after I flew other 737's where reverse thrust was easily attained that I discovered the first 737 was poorly maintained.