PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Alan's still not happy......
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2014, 23:26
TIMA9X

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shark Patrol' used to be the Tasman but as Australian Qantas doesn't do this anymore I guess that term has migrated to the Mainland with the aircraft.
Great point! I noted this comment on Ben's blog this morning.. says it all really..

Qantas versus Piloting excellence-the axe swings again | Plane Talking

Qantas group currently has quite a few aircraft sat around completely idle or with only a few hours work per day.
It also has a significant number of under-utilised pilots.

In an ideal world, you would imagine that QF would have its sales & marketing teams working furiously to identify routes which these assets could be profitably operated.
One wonders whether, with a good business plan and a good-looking but realistic spreadsheet, investors might be prepared to back such an audacious plan.

Considering expanding your aviation business into new (or possibly old) areas at a time of strong market sector growth in the region is hardly going out on limb, business wise. (about 40 sec into this video Cash Flow Positive? - YouTube for those who missed it)

Or instead you can continue to spend $millions to buy & park the unused & unsellable aircraft, not to mention paying out a huge total amount in redundancy payments now, against a long-term reduction in future salaries.
Maybe there won’t be a Qantas in three years.?
If so, the redundancy savings will have evaporated,
AND

I don’t expect Qantas group can sell-on its unused A320′s until they’re at least 3 years old.
It’s time to get proper people in at the top.

With drive, ambition & a genuine Vision of the future for Qantas group, not just a wishy-washy generalisation. (You can’t get what you want, till you know what you want…. AJ doesn’t have (or at least display) any of that vision or drive)
Maybe it can’t be saved.
With the current CEO & Board, I’d agree.
Change those people, define a future & convince investors that it’s a plan that’ll work.

Put the finance in place & then convince the staff that its something worth supporting.
Then go out & make it work.!
Easy………
Airlines are a "people business" the current management team at Qantas has only sent "negative messages" about it's people, to its people for a long time now... so little wonder why things are the way they are...

I am convinced things would change for the better if the management would change tact, take a deep breath and sit down with the staff and nut out some solutions. I'm sure a lot of people would be willing to help out if shown a bit more respect...