PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2014, 23:15
Chugalug2

Received 227 Likes on 70 Posts
Pin Nos., ID nos., NHS nos., NI nos., all defeat me when my memory is called upon, as often as not. What I shall always be able to chant at the drop of a hat however is my Service Number, and that goes for everyone else who has served or indeed is serving. The combination of always having to recite it when required and, in the beginning anyway, probably being on a charge if unable to do so, concentrates the mind wonderfully. God forbid that HMRC should get such ideas...

harrym, thank you for the decode. Interesting that Transport Command were already using the term 'Support' back then, for they were later to be subsumed into the new Air Support Command of course. GPU had a totally different meaning later, as a sort of superannuated Trolley Acc, but your GPU is far more intriguing and we await a full explanation when you reach that chapter of your story.

Hummingfrog, what a strange pair of visiting aircraft at Terrell! The Duck amphibian would seem by its appearance to be alien to all three of its environments, whether it be the air, on land, or afloat. Yet it obviously flew into Terrell OK and presumably just as easily flew out again. I guess if it flies like a duck, swims like a duck, and walks like a duck....

As to the glider, the mystery is not only what use the US Navy made of them (recreation, airmanship training?), more as to why it was at Terrell (just ran out of thermals?), why it should have arrived as part of a formation, and how it was ever going to get out again (unless of course the Duck...).