PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Channel 7 Sunday Night Program About VH-MDX
Old 4th Jun 2014, 23:00
AirTrafficOne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignorance is Bliss

Dick, and others who are posting on here without first hand knowledge.

"Fly up and down the Coastal Lightie Lane without a clearance"...

Mmmmm - it IS controlled airspace which means air traffic controllers actually "control" the airspace. We are (were in my case) responsible to separate aircraft in that airspace.

I've had many (read lots) of inexperienced civil pilots fly up the light aircraft lane who did understand the basic clearance and thought it was ok to shortcut close to the bombing and gunnery range (one actually flew right through the bombing range!).

Having a newly qualified VFR bug smasher pilot barely able to control the aircraft being passed in front at 400+ knots by a gaggle of fighters at close quarters is not good! We tried to avoid that situation.

Passengers in large jets do not like to see fighters outside their windows whilst sipping on a latte - it upsets them and causes all sorts of complaints - we try to avoid that.

If real, live bullets, bombs and missiles are flying through the ether, we try really hard to avoid mixing civilians in there too.

When your Cessna Citation or any other aircraft is HELD or diverted it is for good reason, not because we are (or were) BORED!

The things that go on in military airspace are not for everyone's ears or eyes, including yours Dick.

As a military and civilian ATC who also flew, I constantly invited pilots to the control tower and radar centre to observe, sit with us and plug in to see the other side of the coin. Very few took up the opportunity and yet many ATCs are pilots themselves.

Are we all sad, very sad when a life is lost? YES we are - ALL of us!

You have lost the support of a large chunk of the aviation community Dick.

Time to stop.