PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Simulator Training for strong crosswind landings
Old 4th Jun 2014, 14:28
TypeIV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not nearly as experienced as most of you guys but here's my input regarding the 737.

For applying the correct dose of "crossed rudders", timeing and how the aircraft behaves on the roll-out, I think the simulator is quite good even though a 100% replication isn't possible.

Many people forget that the hardest part of a crosswind landing is making a perfect, sexy, straight and stable roll-out. What difference does a greaser on the center line make if the passengers sitting in the rear part of the fuselage, have their fish and chips sprayed onto the neck rest of the passenger in front of them?

However, hight above the ground, turbulence, aiming points and rotation rate during the flare is much better trained in the actual aircraft, mainly because of the limitations in graphical projection... but hey, if you land the aircraft the way it is written in the FCTM, on these points there are actually almost no differences on how they should be done whether it is a crosswind situation or not. However when the irrational stress level increases, these basic elements of a nice landing seems to suffer.

After a while flying at a homebase, most people get a good feeling on predicting turbulence depending on the season, wind direction vs orography etc, this can of course not be trained in the simulator properly.