PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Simulator Training for strong crosswind landings
Old 4th Jun 2014, 12:51
Mozella

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
" ....................using the combination of decrab in the flare and touch down one wing slightly low resulting in the into wind main wheel touching first. "
I was trained to fly by the U.S. Navy where we learned everything in the classroom first and then went out in the aircraft to prove that we'd been paying attention. I'm not sure if I learned about crosswind landings before my first introductory flight or not, but certainly before my first solo a dozen or so flight hours later.

"WING DOWN INTO THE WIND ............ TOP RUDDER". This idea isn't rocket surgery, as they say. Until I took a job at a major airline, I thought it was how everyone flew airplanes. I've used it in each and every crosswind landing I've ever made; although, (sad to say) not each and every crosswind landing I've ever watched. Works in big airliners, light civilian aircraft, high performance fighters, and sailplanes. Works for take offs too.

After looking at the video twice, it's clear that many pilots don't even try to use the correct technique. Some just want to get it on the ground, crab angle and/or drift rate be damned. Others try to de-crab at just the right time hoping to plant it before the inevitable drift gets out of hand, with varying degrees of success. Quite a few come close to timing their de-crab just right but are flying too fast and then spend too long flying in ground effect (and consequently drifting) before touching down. A significant number of pilots actually use the wrong aileron input, especially on take-off, perhaps trying to steer with the yoke as you would with a car steering wheel.

I'd have to look again to be sure, but I don't recall any of them touching down with the up-wind wing intentionally held low and stabilized so as to touch down on the up-wind gear first. Certainly the majority of the landings shown result in a near wings level touch down.

The technique is nearly mechanical. One of our ........... um ............ less skilled (but very intelligent) captains used to repeat "wing down into the wind, top rudder" to himself a few times on final approach while slapping the appropriate knee so that in the flair (he explained each time) it was a simple matter of pressing the rudder with the leg which was stinging. I was never sure if he did that because he needed the crutch or if he did it to drive his F/O and F/E absolutely crazy. It certainly had the latter effect, that's for sure.

I'll say one thing after watching that video. The people who manufacture landing gear and tires are doing a terrific job ................. some pilots, not so much.