PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Channel 7 Sunday Night Program About VH-MDX
Old 4th Jun 2014, 11:33
Old Fella

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blame Game

Mr Smith

You continue to claim the RAAF and the restriction on planning Coffs - Williamtown as the cause of the aircraft VH-MDX being lost with all aboard.
I would have expected that you of all people would accept that every flight is planned within the existing rules and that every PIC has the responsibility to ensure that the flight is conducted with the safety of the aircraft and those aboard being the most important consideration. Numerous times every day pilots have to make decisions which will ensure safety is not compromised, regardless of any other imperative.

Whether or not one believes that the restictions in place in relation to Williamtown are justified or not, they are in place and were in place in 1981 when VH-MDX was lost.

You have a particular position to promote, as is your right, and many will agree with your view. What I find incomprehensible is your dogged refusal to retract your claim that "The RAAF sent five people to their death". Holding for onwards clearance is nothing unique or restricted to Williamtown. I have lost count of the number of times having been put in the hold on descent into Sydney, burning up tonnes of fuel whilst holding and then being asked to maintain best speed to West Pymble without explanation as to (1), why the holding was required and, (2) why "best speed" was then requested.

The RAAF DID NOT DIRECT THE PIC OF MDX TO FLY INTO THE WX ON HIS PLANNED TRACK. He made that decision it would seem because he was not prepared to wait. Your claim, in an earlier post, that he would have somehow been in jeopardy had he held beggars belief when compared to the decision he made to fly his original planned route. You claim the only reason he turned inland was because of RAAF imposed restrictions. No Mr Smith, that was not the only reason. Options were available.

There seems to me to have been a constant reference to "I" in your offerings, i.e. "I changed this" and "I changed that" and "I will change this", etc etc. Like many others on this thread I have no truk with your attempts to see change made but I am heartily sick of your continued blaming of the RAAF for the failings of the one person whom could have prevented this accident had other options been taken.

I hope that in the fullness of time the accident aircraft will be found and it is able to provide answers for all those people who seek them.