PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gliding
Thread: Gliding
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2014, 05:00
RatherBeFlying

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts
Here in Canada the intro flights are overpriced, but the Five Flight Packages are generally more reasonable.

If you have a number of clubs in the area, go visit them, talk to the students and find out how many flights they get in a day and any recently licensed pilots to see how much commitment is required and how long it takes to get licensed.

There is a lot of work in running the daily operation, looking after the equipment and the grounds.

There can be petty dictators; more often a small clique that calls the shots. What I find is that if you pitch in, you get listened to. Getting things changed requires talking to lots of people and building consensus.

The non cross country days I usually show up anyway and help out. That pays forward for the days I just jump in my glider and disappear for some hours.

My last club had five modern single seaters and a summer towpilot for weekdays. That provided considerable opportunity for new ppls to get cross country experience. That ratio is 24 members per single seater.

My new club has two single seaters, one modern and one older glass ship, for 70 members, but the only people I've seen taking them XC are instructors.

If I was joining a club as a student, I'd want to know there's a formal program to move licensed pilots to XC.