PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 3rd Jun 2014, 20:14
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seconded Coff,

This is groundbreaking stuff in more than one respect, keep it going Upgently.

I can't find my records Coff, but I'm pretty sure that Kirkenes at 69 degrees 58 minutes North is the most northerly. I always believed that Adelaide at 34 degrees 43 Minutes South was my most southerly, so was surprised to find that my visits to the Falklands actually far "outsouthed" that. I never managed a global, so my furthest West was 149 degrees west at Eilson AFB I believe, whilst Eastwards the extent of my bungee was found to be Sydney at 152 degrees East. I spent 6 years as a Ground Eng on this beast and saw more of the world than I ever imagined I would. And somewhere I have a list of places I have been to. I'm sure most of the double tour GEs will have far exceeded my journeys. What a nice thread to follow, some old friends to banter with and some happy memories revived, keep them coming in chaps.

Meanwhile, this may bring a smile. An old Herk buddy of mine recently related this story;

As a group of up and coming young Air Engineers were testing each other's knowledge of the aircraft and its systems in the Sgts Mess one day, an old Master Engineer, lowered his newspaper and said, "Here's one that will make you think. You've just got airborne and the aircraft yaws violently left, you look up and there's a Green light on the overhead panel, what's the problem?". After a few minutes chat they all shrugged and asked him to tell them. "Well lads he says, you've left the Houchin connected". Thanks Tucker, I'll get my coat

Smudge

Last edited by smujsmith; 3rd Jun 2014 at 22:10.