PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gliding
Thread: Gliding
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2014, 19:23
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snapper - Derby & Lancs. I certainly wasn't cash-rich/time poor back then. But the glacial rate of flying training progress actually made the cash outlay in travel. meals, and bar bills at least as expensive as lessons in the C150 at Barton - and in training for the PPL I got to see the wife occasionally as well, and to mow the lawn, and all that other 'normal life' stuff.

I did notice a lot of 'club politics' at the gliding club (which I kept out of), cleekeyness (SP?), and that many of the regulars were divorced. Most of those that were married had divorced wife one and married wife two, who was met through the club!

There were also quite a few instructors whose ego far exceeded their teaching ability. Shouting at studes was not uncommon, and knowing what I know now my introduction to stalling (in a Motor Falk over Grindleford station which I remember looking down on through the windscreen in our vertical stall recovery) was dangerous and totally unrealistic from a training viewpoint. He was just showboating, with no notion of teaching how to fly an aeroplane.