PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Grand Canyon Accident: Pilot killed in AS350 rollover
Old 3rd Jun 2014, 13:13
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FL: I have been immersed in the practice of shutting down SE on innumerable occasions during HEMS (which we were 24/7). Every single time I landed - many of which were in inaccessible and often hostile places - I shut down. Sometimes just to swoop and scoop. Did I consciously decide NOT to shut down because I couldn't be arsed? NO. Why, well because the RFM said NO and also because it made sound sense to shut down (trying to monitor and maintain a safe zone around a chopper burning and turning close to strangers/obstructions/animals etc)...even though I always had the thought that maybe, just maybe she may not start again!
Pilots who opt for this totally unnecessary practice really are pushing the safety envelope. It is very poor airmanship to say the least. How can anyone manage a 2 tonne hand grenade from a distance???
I challenge anyone to offer a sound reason for getting out and leaving a burning and turning chopper unattended (other than in an emergency). Anyone? With or without the backing of the RFM.
I also challenge the legal fraternity to defend the pilots actions in the event third parties sued the pilot for damages due to his dereliction of duty.
Of course, this situation is rare and infrequent (being killed by your own helicopter) but the infrequency is not the issue.
The whole point of this argument is that it may well be practiced a lot in certain parts of the industry's but it isn't RIGHT.
[For the same reason that most people drive above the speed limit most of the time - but it isn't right and if you go there - expect and accept your punishment...but DO NOT defend what you did .