PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Channel 7 Sunday Night Program About VH-MDX
Old 3rd Jun 2014, 11:53
Dick Smith

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts
Channel 7 actually came to interview me primarily about my successful search for the Kookaburra aircraft in the Tanami Desert.

However I was always concerned that the BASI report on MDX did not make any recommendations re improving the Willy airspace.

When the presenter kept playing that horrible utube video of the last minutes of MDX I realized that the accident could be repeated tomorrow because pilots still had to flight plan around Williamtown.

I have spent over two decades attempting to get our military airspace modernized so it has some of the advantages of the US system.

After all virtually all of the RAAF aircraft come from the USA- surely that country must know something about modern efficient aviation.

I have offered to pay the cost of sending RAAF ATC decision makers to the USA to see how modern airspace design and procedures can make their jobs easier while saving monetary waste for the civilian aviation industry.

However there appears to be a long term culture in the RAAF of not copying the success of others.

If Williamtown was changed to class D as recommended by CASA a number of years ago the constant holding of VFR transiting aircraft would virtually be eliminated.

I am now selling my place on the north coast so it won't effect me anymore!

However I will never give up on pushing for IFR non pressurized aircraft to be able to flight plan the safest way when going coastal in the area!