PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Simulator Training for strong crosswind landings
Old 3rd Jun 2014, 09:31
Bergerie1

Received 48 Likes on 19 Posts
centaurus

Thanks for a good post. I flew 707s, VC10s and 747s. Cross wind landings on the VC10 were fairly straightforward because there were no engine pods to worry about, but there was still a similar limitation on roll to prevent touching an outboard flap. The 707 was more demanding. On both types, the simulators (I am talking about the 1970s) were not good enough, so we required new captains during their command courses to land under training in cross winds in excess of 20kts. This was sometimes a particularly demanding exercise for the training captain!

On the 747, the simulators were better and we cleared captains on the simulator. This was, I believe, the right thing to do. But it was necessary also to ensure that sufficient turbulence was used too.

As centaurus has said, basic crosswind techniques have not changed over the years, they are not difficult in themselves. It is the turbulence that causes the problems. And here good simulator practice can pay dividends, with plenty of practice in very demanding conditions.

I am long retired now. I just hope airline training departments allow sufficient time for this during type training.

Last edited by Bergerie1; 3rd Jun 2014 at 09:35. Reason: spelling!!