PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reubens take on RAF in dogfight over Northolt
Old 3rd Jun 2014, 07:01
HTB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There may be confusion in some minds, understandably as there are several related publication that could influence the provision of infrastructure and services. These include the references in my post # 13; military publications; CAP 168; EASA regulations 139/2014 (and its legislative predecessors). Add to that the ANO - CAP 393. The OP contains a link to a previous post by me relating to a CAA inspection of Northolt in 2008, at the request of the MoD to ascertain where, if any, differences to CAA licensing standards existed. There were many (I carried out that inspection and produced a lengthy report - which I will not publish here). There is a synopsis in my post via the link of some fundamental differences.

To help in understanding who is supposed to do what, here are some more snippets (full documentation via the CAA website):

Air Navigation: The Order and the Regulations

CAP 393

Use of Government aerodromes

210 With the concurrence of the Secretary of Stateand subject to such conditions as it thinks fit, the CAA may notify any Government aerodrome as an aerodrome available for the take-off and landing of aircraft flying on flights for the purpose of:

(a) the commercial air transport of passengers;

(b) the public transport of passengers; or

(c) instruction in flying,

or of any classes of such aircraft.

UK IAIP (CAP 32)

AD1.1

1.12 Use of Government aerodromes

1.12.2 It is the Ministry of Defence policy to encourage the use of active Government aerodromes by United Kingdom civil aircraft on inland flights, provided this is consistent with defence requirements and local interests. Those aerodromes available to civil aircraft are listed in AD 1.3, but permission to use any government aerodrome must be obtained from the operating authority at the aerodrome concerned before take-off (in this connection filing of a flight plan does not constitute prior permission). Unless there are special circumstances, permission will not normally be given for flights outside normal working hours of the aerodrome concerned.

From Northolt’s IAIP entry: EGWU AD 2.20 LOCAL TRAFFIC REGULATIONS

(a) Northolt is a Government Aerodrome regulated by the Ministry of Defence. No guarantee can begiven that this airfield meets the requirements of ICAO Annex 14 Volume I andII. Operators are to satisfy themselves that they have met all the requirements of the UK Air Navigation Order 2005 and JAR-OPS (See AD 1.1.1 para 12 and AD1.4 para 1.3).

Some of the references are outdated (ANO 2005, JAR-OPS, even though extracted from the current versions of source documents). My bold (highlight seems to have failed)

Mister B

Last edited by HTB; 3rd Jun 2014 at 07:08. Reason: formatting unruly font, etc