PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Freo Notam
Thread: Freo Notam
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2003, 12:35
Travelling Toolbox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seeing no crime is being committed, what right do they have to shoot (besides their belief that they are God's gift to Earth)?
Stallie

I don't know but consider this:

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong someone) that all US Navy ships are considered Sovereign US Soil. You ca't get much more sovereign, than one of their Capital ships! And as a Capital ship, they would be considered a prime terrorist target.

Regardless of whose waters they have sailed into, their sovereign status remains unchanged - hence their perceived right to "defend their soil" so to speak.

Now throw into to the mix what happened in Yemen with a small speed boat, the fact that these ships have just returned from a real shooting war and do probably EXPECT retaliation from the loons out there for their successes.

YES - I would say the voice challenge you hear if you were stupid enough to tempt fate and get inside their comfort zone would be American direct from the flat top tower!

We may be a strong ally but to keep safe, they probably suspect an attack could come from anywhere at anytime and at what are perceived the safest of ports.

I don't know the compliment of the Constellation, but personally, if I was driving one of the Big Muthas with twin reactors, 5000 plus personnel and millions of dollars in flying hardware garaged below and above deck, I'd be pretty towie whenever in shallow water.

Best to give them a wide birth and grant them their wish to be left alone.