PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Channel 7 Sunday Night Program About VH-MDX
Old 3rd Jun 2014, 01:44
RatsoreA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dick,

being forced to the west into the Barrington Top mountains as MDX was thirty years ago
MDX was not forced in any way to go to the west. He chose that route.

the only reason MDX did not continue down the coast at a low level in clear weather conditions was because Williamtown was active that night
That is also untrue. The only reason he didn't continue down the coast is that he was too impaitent to wait for the clearance. For the sake of one or two orbits, the aircraft was lost. FIS5 was going to ask him if he preferred 7000 or 9000 for his transit, due to preceding traffic (AZC, a slower C206 at the same level, 8000ft, who had no issues securing a clearance to transit Williamtown) but before he could even offer the alternate levels, he made the choice to go via Craven.

Another thing you said on TV was also incorrect, after the uncertainty phase was declared, by FIS5 not a PAN or MAYDAY by MDX, FIS5, Sector 1 and Williamtown did everything they could do to help him out, completely without regard to airspace requirements. They were in fact trying to direct him to come to Williamtown, but he chose to resume his planned track as late as 3 minutes before the aircraft was lost.

Evilroy – you want me to make a statement that says the RAAF did absolutely nothing wrong and in fact assisted in every way in getting VH-MDX a clearance.

Well, I won’t be making that statement because it would be a lie
Actually, the facts are very clear in this matter, the Williamtown Controller DID assist him in every way possible. It does not even have the remotest shred of doubt attached to it.

Yes, I know you will say, “it was nothing to do with the Willi Controller because the aircraft wasn’t in his airspace”. So, just let five people go to their deaths…?
He didn't, he spent a large amount of time trying to help a plot that was at the extreme edge of coverage of his radar, and well outside his area of responsibility.

Last edited by RatsoreA; 3rd Jun 2014 at 01:50. Reason: Extra info