PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Rivet Joint
Thread: RAF Rivet Joint
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2014, 17:37
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
The regulation that covers an RTS is here:

http://www.maa.mod.uk/linkedfiles/re...ies/ra1300.pdf
I think if I were still in MoD, and still had airworthiness delegation, I'd exercise my "engineering judgement" obligation and ignore this in favour of Controller Aircraft Instructions (which were mandated in every aircraft related project or programme). There is far too much that is now optional that used to be mandated. This leads to confusion.

The obvious one is that everyone (presumably!) prefers a positive statement of clearance, not an implied clearance. A less obvious and rather obscure one is the omission of the concept of an Aircrew Equipment Assembly also being a part of the avionic system (an LRU), with a certain build standard mandated along with complementary aircraft modification(s) and Full Fleet Fit. That is, safety is affected if the wrong AEA or a mixture of build standards is present in the aircraft. As I said, obscure (or it was in 1996 when first implemented), but failure to comply explained one of the contributory factors in a multi-fatality crash a few years ago; so you'd expect the MAA to take steps to avoid recurrence. Apologies, of course, if it is buried in another MAA document; but it should be an RTS issue.