PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any experience of Shingles?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2014, 13:37
dogsridewith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shingles

There may have been a stigma around shingles before discovery that the origin is dormant chickenpox virus.

I'm of the age that parents knew mumps could cause infertility in adult males, and deliberately exposed children to others with it...not sure about the deliberate exposure with measles and chickenpox. I did have chicken pox as a child.

A couple years ago, I was finishing up an evening dog run in a forest in the spring, and some people at a campfire beside a hunting camp offered a beer and then a look inside what turned out to be an old tight moldy trailer filled with beer and tobacco fumes of people playing beer pong. The dogs indicated a desire to terminate this visit rather quickly.

Within 2 days I had a rare sore-throat to chest cold type flu. This resolved fairly quickly without medication and some blisters formed on the right side of my waist and started to spread both ways around. It looked like poison ivy or a second degree burn, but there was no surface pain.

What worried me was MRSA, because a bad case was in the media headlines at the time. And, I didn't think shingles, because of heavy TV advertising citing "burn and itch." (Never was much burn, and itch didn't start until spreading had stopped, blisters were breaking, and I knew I was going to live.) Only treatment whatsoever was one comfrey tea rinse before a bath, just before spreading had stopped, with no obvious effect one way or the other. Contact was somewhat uncomfortable in bed, but I could sleep on the other side.

There was a deep pain in my right hip, which had a resolved running injury decades earlier. (At one point, I got some relief by half laying at one end of a couch, with my foot slightly tensioned by a sling to the arm at the other end of the couch.)

I was relieved when I finally checked shingles descriptions to find that abdomen, from centerline front to centerline rear, is the most common location. I did not find anything residual harmful about it except some reference to if an eye is involved.

I'm happy to have had this chickenpox booster the natural way. The blisters left white areas like "road rash" from a bicycle crash, but these have disappeared. There are indications that antibiotics and antivirals disrupt a very complex, important and natural gut biome, increasing the risk of cancer and auto-immune diseases.

Two possible connections with vaccination--It is possible that a near absence of chickenpox infected children to challenge post-infected adults is the reason we see shingles at the current rate; and, it is unknown how shingles will effect children vaccinated for chickenpox.