PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Channel 7 Sunday Night Program About VH-MDX
Old 2nd Jun 2014, 11:29
Hempy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Statement from Chief of Air Force Air Marshal Geoff Brown AO
Contrary to the program’s story, civilian aircraft can and do fly through Williamtown airspace every day. Williamtown Air Traffic Control handles more than 34,000 civilian aircraft movements through the Williamtown airspace each year, including 1.2 million passengers who use the Newcastle airport terminal situated at RAAF Base Williamtown.

For civil aircraft flying visually through Williamtown airspace, Air Force created three specific flight paths that are designed to provide civilian access to Williamtown airspace and to deconflict with military and other civilian aircraft.

Air Force operates a multi-layered air traffic control system which is regulated by a comprehensive regime of independent audits and evaluations and is integrated with Australia’s national Air Traffic Management network

It is routine to restrict access to military airspace for both safety and security reasons. Such restrictions provide separation from hazardous environments including air weapons ranges. In fact, Australia is more generous than many nations, allowing civilian access when requested and whenever safety and security allow; and we operate formal airspace sharing arrangements at Williamtown, Darwin and Townsville.

In an emergency, civil aircraft can access defence airspace and airfields for emergency landings.
I told you using an irrelevant emotive argument would bite you on the bum...what chances of reform now do you reckon, after he's just gone on the public record explaining there is no need? You actually pulled the statement out of him!! Well done!!!

"Yeah, no, forget all that. I was wrong and Dick is right"

Attributing this tragedy to the Air Force is sensationalist and incorrect and I note that the program did not seek any comment or clarification from either Air Force or Defence in relation to this incident. It is disappointing that these unsubstantiated claims were aired on national television.

Air Marshal Geoff Brown AO
Chief of Air Force