PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 2nd Jun 2014, 08:26
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ancientaviator,

Spot on on the Line reaction to our looking like yes men for the aircrew. Another gripe was when we managed to get one home safely, that required a bit of work, many is the prop we have nursed home, rather than call for a prop change down route. I think you are probably correct about emulating the V force crew chiefs, and lets not forget the Maritime fleet (Nimrods anyway) also operated the crew chief system. I wondered also if carrying a competent SNCO in all trades of the aircraft became necessary as a result of the closure of many bases around the world, often used by AT. There was a discussion on another thread about the old Hastings route out to Sri Lanka, I think it was. In the days of the Hastings the RAF enjoyed bases all the way along the route, with relevant AT support. In my day, on the Herk, a trip leaving for Sri Lanka and points East, on a Sunday would probably night stop Cairo International, a fuel stop at Bahrain and on to Columbo. All now civilian Airports, with no direct RAF engineering ground support. Whatever, I only once met a Pilot who resented the presence of GEs, his problem being that whenever he broke his aircraft, the GE didn't carry the relevant part. I remember pointing out that to accommodate his desire a second Herk would have to follow with the spares. As an aside, and from blokes I know, it appears that since the advent of the J, the workload of the GE has increased and most do not get the luxury of taking to the hammock when away from base. What they do in flight is a mystery, and perhaps someone could elucidate, or is my source, a current GE, just going for bragging rights

I'm sure there must be some more great pictures out there in this celebration of Albert. And surely some memorable moments, operated by so many people.

Smudge