PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Channel 7 Sunday Night Program About VH-MDX
Old 2nd Jun 2014, 06:59
CWO Geoff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MDX incident

Yes Dick, lets look at the times then.

Unfortunately, I don't have a verbatim tape transcript but from what I now conclude is that it was the SY AACC S1 controller that had control of the controlled airspace beyond 12 nm to the N of WLM. This would have started at FL125 and below that was OCTA being serviced by FIS5. Since he flight planned at A060/A050 (but was flying at A085) just where was he intending to enter controlled airspace with S1/ARR(N) on his original plan? Would a clearance to enter Sydney steps/CTR have been given to him?

The aircraft reported TRE @ [time] 50 with an estimate for SGT of 30. At 19 he reported CRV with an estimate of 30 for SGT. At time 50 (just after TRE) he was asked if he preferred to take a coastal route via WLM. He indicated that WLM route would be acceptable. At time 53 S1 refused him a clearance (via FIS5) to enter controlled airspace. The pilot was not aware of this refusal but after some 'humming and harring', elected (at time 56) to follow his flight planned route via CRV to SGT. Big mistake, that sealed his fate.

In this case it was the [civilian] S1 controller who, as was his right, denied the access of a NVMC flight to have a clearance in his area of responsibility. If you are going to point the finger at anyone, perhaps you should be looking at CIVILIAN procedures in the Sydney terminal area, not the RAAF at WLM.

The aircraft, being OCTA at TRE, could quite easily have continued towards WLM from TRE and obtained a clearance to transit the zone directly from WLM TWR/APP or through FIS5.

I cannot ever recall that I have ever come across a civil or military controller who has withheld an air traffic clearance just for 'bloody-mindedness'. The only time such a clearance is withheld is to provide separation with IFR aircraft.

When I look at the timeframe of the condensed tape transcript, to me it shows that when positively identified, MDX was well off course which is strange given that the actual conditions in that area were westerlies. From that information I believe that the pilot took up a wrong heading from TRE and had no idea just where he was. Without fully serviceable navaids, he had no hope of calculating his CRV position. When he started to get a succession of problems he should have declared a PAN and I have no doubt that he would have been every assistance from ALL agencies.

As I said previously, the flight beyond Coolangatta was an accident waiting to happen and the RAAF airspace and procedures at WLM had nothing to do with the aircraft's eventual fate. I still reckon that you deserve an Oscar for last night's performance.