PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Wright brothers just glided in 1903. They flew in 1908.
Old 2nd Jun 2014, 06:37
Haraka

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Canards.
I always thought that the name "Canard" was derived from the French word for a duck, because the long length of the aircraft in front of the main wing in this layout making the configuration resemble a duck in flight. Hence the Focke Wulf F-19 "Ente" and the Mig- 8 "Utke", in German and Russian also meaning duck. By usage the foreplanes ( when normally present) also being referred to as canards.
From the flying point of view I think consideration should also be given to the fact that the elevator's location ( directly in line with the pilot's forward vision) , its angle of incidence and it's position relative to the horizon gave the pilot a very short control feedback loop to respond to what the aeroplane was doing: all aids to flying an unstable aircraft.
The article quoted by Brian also perhaps gives some explanation as to the seemingly alarming up-angle of the elevator on the famous 17th December photograph .
(Incidentally I disagree with the assertion that at the start of powered flight "most" new aircraft copied the Wright brothers canard design. A number, yes, but that has not the same implication. It might not be incorrect to state that , following the experience of the European visit, the Wrights progressively abandoned their canard configuration).

Last edited by Haraka; 2nd Jun 2014 at 11:02.