PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2014, 00:55
camlobe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hummingfrog,
Your fathers 'trip' to obtain strawberries, and your own 'fishing trip' made me chuckle as I remember an event in the mid-80's.

I was manning the trade desk at that stalwart, sole operator of Shacks, Eight Fighter All Weather Squadron...except when it's raining or dark, at Lossiemouth.

Phone rings, camlobe answers. "Ah, hello Sqn Ldr XXXXX, II Squadron, Bruggen here. Can I speak with John the Fish please?" To enlighten, John the Fish was a 'retired' fishing boat Captain, who for many years, was employed as an aircraft cleaner on Eight, and was a most valued member of the Squadron. He also maintained his fishing contacts, supplying the freshest fish to Kinloss and Lossie personnel every Thursday. The two old friends chat on the phone for a few minutes, and say their farewells.

The following Thursday, Sqn Ldr XXXX arrives in his Jaguar (the type with two Adours) complete with underwing carry pods. John the Fish arrives, and in to the carry pods go some of the finest, freshest salmon, and the Jag departs.

Apparently, according to John, the fresh Scottish salmon was rather well received at the dinning in night.

Great days,

Camlobe