PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Grand Canyon Accident: Pilot killed in AS350 rollover
Old 1st Jun 2014, 15:39
Boudreaux Bob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering the outcome, there is no argument he made the "wrong" choice.

My position is he was free to make whatever decision he wished in this as there were no legal prohibitions (that we know of) to forbid him doing as he did.

If it was the exact right decision will have to be decided after weighing all of the factual evidence and not just assuming One knows what actually transpired.

I recall folks saying much the same about the Glasgow Crash saying we should all wait for the AAIB to report out what happened and why.

So why not in this one?

The poor dead guy has been called a Darwin Award Candidate and criticized for what he did by you Brits despite the Regulations being quite different in the USA, but that did not seem to deter y'all from making the comments you did.

It appears you just do not like being called out for that.

We saw the same thing happen when the MH-60 crashed in Norfolk too.

Even Flying Lawyer has commented on the tendency of you folks in the UK to attack one other Pilots when things happen and I see him as being quite and honest and candid fellow.

As an indication of how he views matters, read his Post which did not seem to draw any criticism or discussion.

I wonder whether the differences of opinion in this discussion are to some extent influenced by the fact that (professional) helicopter flying in the UK is predominantly military, off-shore transport, emergency services and executive transport with very little 'utility' flying of the sort very common in some other parts of the world.

We know, from several threads on this topic over the years, that leaving helicopters unattended with rotors turning is a widespread practice in some parts of the world.
We also know that there are sometimes accidents as a result.
Is there evidence of a high number of accidents relative to the frequency of the practice?
Would it not be a breath of fresh air if all of you over there could be as fair and equitable in your comments?

He is British and can politely consider Helicopter Operations in the UK with an Open Mind. More of you should do the same i would suggest.