PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oh well, I've crashed let's sell the engine in the pub!
Old 1st Jun 2014, 15:19
Fournierf5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M-62A3 - Obviously it's not possible to get folk to read my post correctly but can I refer you again to my post , No 5, which has a link at the end to a clear photo of - G-AUDJ at the crash site near Pine Creek! Hence, as 'One-track' surmises, there is no error in the Ed Coates website which states that AUDK crashed Lae in 1928.http://www.pprune.org/forums/images/.../eusa_wall.gif

. . . and to 'Herod'
The term 'ejected' was mine alone but was my interpretation of the following extract from: Ten Journeys to Cameron's Farm by Cameron Hazlehurst' a story involving the demise of Bob Hitchcock's son in WW2.

Later that year Kingsford-Smith flew around the country in a record-making attempt with a new associate, Charles Ulm, who had displaced Anderson. Hitchcock happily accompanied a disgruntled Anderson and an observer, Charles Vivian, in the second Bristol. Their passenger was the representative of George A. Bond & Co., hosiery manufacturers, with whom Ulm had secured a sponsorship deal.

In the days that followed, Bob was to have a devastating shock. He had given up his job on the understanding that he was to take part in the world’s first east-west trans-Pacific flight. But when it came time to depart for the United States he was dropped from the team to make room for Ulm. Anderson too was eventually dumped. Believing themselves to have been the victims of broken promises, depriving them of places in the epic 1928 flight and the fame and financial reward that followed, both Hitchcock and Anderson had a bitter falling out with ‘Smithy’ and Ulm, now Smithy’s business partner. After prolonged recrimination and litigation the fractured relations remained unhealed. A ‘gentlemen’s agreement’ and a cheque for ₤1000 ― repayment of what he had invested in the enterprise ― had helped soften Anderson’s pain. Hitchcock was not so fortunate, eventually in March 1929 losing a costly and humiliating court battle over Smithy’s alleged and subsequently denied pledge that ‘on our return to Sydney we’ll pay you a thousand pounds for dropping you out’. The two teams went their separate ways. Bob scratched a living in Sydney with casual work as a mechanic. He boarded in a room at the Customs House Hotel in Macquarie Place. Whenever he could, he sent money back to support the family in Western Australia. In 1928 he and Anderson had set out on their own attempt to fly to Britain in record-breaking time. They got as far as Darwin, where they crash landed their Bristol. Hitchcock’s left leg was badly gashed and the wound, slow to heal, became infected.

On 30 March 1929, Kingsford-Smith, Ulm, and two companions took off from Sydney in their famous aircraft, the Southern Cross, to fly across the continent on the first leg of a round-the-world flight. Meanwhile Anderson, with Hitchcock’s aid, had been secretly planning a record-breaking 24-hour solo endurance flight in his own small aircraft, a Westland Widgeon III, which he had christened the Kookaburra. At the RAAF base at Richmond in New South Wales they were ready to set off when news came that the Southern Cross had disappeared somewhere in northwest Australia. Whatever their differences had been, Anderson ― ‘the Dreamer’ as he was known at Mascot ― had an abiding affection for Smithy. While others dithered over the organisation of a search he was sure he could find his old friends. After a whip-around, Jack Cantor, publican of the Customs House Hotel and former business associate of Smithy’s, made up an offer of £500 to defray the cost of a search

To my mind my use of the word 'ejected' better describes and suits the circumstance here .... What you read in 'Wonders of World aviation is possibly a rather anodyne version of events!