PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan NOT appearing at RIAT 2014
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2014, 08:54
jumpseater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VTTS We were instead offered a static position for XH558 crowd-side with a nearby site for the Vulcan Village. However we have a duty of care to those of our volunteers who staff the Vulcan Village not to risk exposing them to visitors expecting to see XH558 flying who complain that she is not.

For this reason, and the significant costs involved in bringing XH558, the Vulcan Village and the team to Fairford for the weekend, we have decided to decline RIAT's offer of a static position

FB There was a story on ukar back in 2009 I believe about how the Vulcan cancelled, on either one of the two days, at the Biggin Hill Air Fair, some character pitched up at the Vulcan to the Sky stand and enquired about its absence from the day's flying in a rather blunt and misinformed manner. I believe the chap had previously imbibed, a copious amount as well, going by the witness report.

I get the financial reasons, no problems with that, but what a load of regarding risking exposing staff to airshow visitors. It does beg the question how Vulcan supporters will behave if they turn up somewhere and have a tech problem for a whole weekend. Makes you wonder how civvy airlines get on dealing with thousands of disrupted passengers during significant delays, and they can get a bit 'shouty' believe me! Cracking way for VTTS to imply that their supporters can't be trusted to behave themselves You may get a few twats turn up, but numbers large enough to cause concern? What next Vulcan fans throwing bog rolls across the runway and having their own 'Inter-City' firm?

edited to add quotes to first para