PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How can a new start-up succeed?
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2014, 08:44
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PLovett,

Part 145 doesn't have much to do with CAR 206, either.

What we get for light aircraft maintenance remains to be seen, even Mr. McCormick has expressed his preference for the US Part 43 approach, but the CASA "Iron Ring" ( particularly the fellow who will tell you, to your face, that there should only be two kinds of aviation, airlines and military -- and he is a very senior executive manager) want to impose Parts 42/145, so that all maintenance would be conducted as if your were running a fleet of A380s, and even Qantas can't afford to do that in Australia.

The scary thing is that the only thing stopping the "Iron Ring" right now, is a Legislative Instrument, restricting Parts 42/145 to high capacity RPT.

Part 145 certification, versus Part 30, imposes costs that limit Part 145 workshop approvals to quite large organization, to carry the imposed overheads. It is in no way similar to a CAR 30 workshop approval for a small business.

If the "Iron Ring" has its way, by my estimate, all but about 30-40 of the present CAR 30 workshops (340+ ?)will remain, if my estimate is wrong, it will be because I have been too optimistic.

Tootle pip!!