PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Wright brothers just glided in 1903. They flew in 1908.
Old 1st Jun 2014, 06:33
simplex1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another inconsistency, an eye witness is quoted as talking about flapping propellers that equipped one of the Wright brothers' planes

There is a large size article, "Fly Over St. Louis at 50 Miles an Hour.", Sunday Magazine - St. Louis Post Dispatch - April 21 1907, Scrapbooks: January 1902-December 1908 | Library of Congress ", containing (amongst other things) a short witness account in its end (bottom right):

"Like a locomotive
By A. I. Root, Medina, O., Who Witness Several of Wright Brothers' Flights.

It was one of the grandest sights of my life. I stood in front of the machine as it came around a curve. Imagine, if you can, an aluminum locomotive, without wheels, but with 20-foot wings and big, flapping propellers, climbing up into the air right towards you. Such a tremendous flapping and snapping. Everyone was excited except the two Wrights. ..."

First of all, none of the known airplanes made by the Wright brothers resembles an aluminum locomotive and secondly they were not equipped with flapping propellers.

Amos Ives Root (a real person) is quoted as claiming he witnessed a flying machine that never existed. The entire article has the appearance of an investment scam. Most of the newspaper clippings ( see Scrapbooks: January 1902-December 1908 | Library of Congress ) collected by the Wright brothers, especially those between Dec. 17, 1903 and Aug. 8, 1908, look like unreliable articles one can find in tabloids.