PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career in ATC (oh yes, another one)
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2003, 03:57
LiamMc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Career in ATC (oh yes, another one)

Hello folks.

I'm 16 years old at the moment, finishing my 5th yr of High School in Glasgow, with an ambition of a career in ATC. I've had a browse around the NATS site and found some info eg. entry requirements. I have plans to start my PPL soon at Glasgow and I'm assuming that will come in handy if I have it completed at time of applying. I have a few questions:

1) Do you usually get to choose at which airport you control, or is it pretty much up to them?

2) Is the training salary sufficient? ie. do you have a bit to spare

3) Does your age affect who they take on eg. If I were to apply at 18 years old, would I have the same chance as someone who eg. is 30 with a working background.

4) Radar vs. Area; do you get to choose or do they choose on the basis of ability?

5) Qualifications vs. Motivation/Interest; Of how much value are qualifications in comparison with an interest in the job? eg. if someone had 6 Highers/A-levels would they be preffered someone with the minimum requirements but with a real passion for the industry?

6) NATS vs. Eurocontrol; what are the differences??

I know there is quite a lot there but I'm really interested and any replies are greatly appreciated

Thanks a lot,
Liam