PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mobile Phones on Aircraft CAA Report
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2003, 03:31
747FOCAL

Devil

Come now. I would have thought pilots would be more logical than this.

I have literally hundreds of hours of flight testing where the plane is in "experimental" condition and we use cell phones to communicate with people on the ground and I have never seen any bad affects on instruments nor has any of the pilots complained.

There is no merit to the theory that these or any other common electrical devices do cause problems. Yes, get painted by tracking radar and you will see some pretty interesting things happening to your instruments, especially radar.

Modern Cell phones have a transmission range of several miles lateraly and about 10,000-12,000 ft in height. An elyptical bubble so to speak. When you are taking off and landing your aircraft is literally getting bombarded by hundreds if not thousands of cell phone signals depending on what airport you are at.

There are two reasons why they like to say that cell phone use can make an airplane crash....

1. There is no way for the airline to make money on the use of the cell phones and all those millions of dollars spent on air phones would go down the drain cept when you were out over the pond, but then satellite phones will work if you are by the window.
2. Airlines do not like things in peoples hands that can get exposed to excessive g force that fly down the cabin and kill the person whom it hits in the head. This is why they come by with garbage sacks for jewelry, etc if you may have to ditch.....less crap flying through the cabin as people's bodies come apart.