PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pictures of my old DC-3.
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2014, 18:54
con-pilot

Aviator Extraordinaire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I came across this picture and noticed the Wrigley emblem outside the cockpit, think this is the same plane you have been discussing. Wonder who the pilot is? Does anyone have any idea?
If you are referring to my old DC-3, I'd say yes it is the one I flew. One clue of course is the Wrigley emblem on the nose and the other clue is that it appears that the photo was taken at the Santa Catalina airport.

At that time, the Wrigley family owned the Santa Catalina Island and the DC-3 was there quite a bit. In fact when the Wrigley family bought a newer and faster aircraft, a Howard 350, I think, the DC-3 was based on the Santa Catalina airport to ferry people from LAX to the island, as the new aircraft could not use the Santa Catalina airport because the runway was too short.

There is only one hangar on the Santa Catalina airport and it was built for the DC-3, so I was told.

The original log book for the DC-3 was like reading a 'Who's who' of the late 40's to the early 60's when they filled the original log book, which was the size of telephone book compared to the newer style. It had the passengers' names in the log book for most flights, people like Jimmy Stewart, John Wayne and more movie stars than I can remember. Plus many then famous baseball players, mostly the Chicago Cubs baseball team, which the Wrigley family owned.

One more note of interest, from reading the log books, they changed engines every 500 hours, replacing them with overhauled engines. I was always curious about that.

Last I heard, the Wrigley family now has a Falcon 50.