PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 617 Squadron - After The Dams
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2014, 10:26
John Nichol

Received 81 Likes on 21 Posts
Thanks for the comments (good and bad) guys – always appreciated.

I did wonder how to respond to the ‘nay-sayers’ – indeed I had a bet with the Executive Producer (a life-long supporter of the military and the RAF in particular – look up his CV) about exactly how long it would take the Pprune ‘experts’ to point out their perception of the ‘errors’. Needless to say, I’m now a tenner better off. So thanks for that!

I can only say that those of you who claim to know this curious land of TV and dismiss the efforts of ‘producers’ couldn’t be more wrong – the team who made this documentary went above and beyond the call of duty to get it right. They were immersed in this story in a way they have not been on previous documentaries.

That said, I’m the first to admit that none of us are perfect (apart from some ‘hair-splitters’ who inhabit this interweb).

Still, to answer a few points – we did bring in ‘real experts’ (and not those from the pub!) who know the 617 Sqn story inside out. One, Rob Owen, the official 617 historian, has dedicated his life to the facts and went through the programme with a fine-tooth comb. (Thanks again Rob – we would have been lost without you!).

He pointed out the use of the BII footage (acknowledged on screen!) and the reversal of the photo. Again – these were not ‘mistakes’ but calculated production decisions involving cost/editorial/visual/available factors.

Without wanting to press this point too far – the BBMF Lanc is not 617, nor is Just Jane, nor was some other footage & audio on the ground and in the air. But that’s not the point! – It is about bringing available resources together to engagingly tell a story of heroism, sacrifice and service - and by God that story was well told!

To those who say we didn’t cover certain ops – very true. Harumph away, but it would have been impossible to do so and we chose the ones that could be best illustrated on screen.

There is no point in me addressing every single perceived ‘error’ line by line – there are some who will never be happy unless attempting to prove their own expertise ahead of others.

But I’ll say this – I’ve been in contact with a number veterans and their families since broadcast – they could not have been more generous in their praise for the programme and gratitude for highlighting the bravery and expertise of 617 Sqn.

Interestingly, not one of those men who went to war on our behalf so many years ago mentioned the reversal of an old photo. Funny that.