PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight deck positions at FlyDubai Master Thread - Merged
Old 31st May 2014, 06:22
A6FDB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dubai Thoughts

Long time reader first time poster.

After having been here for just over 2 years this is my two cents,

I came from a low paying turboprop job with no light in the end of the tunnel so I made the leap to the Middle East. Joining today it will take approx 3 years to command. You won't see daylight for the first 18 month as an F/O and your take home pay will be average 35000+ aed.

2 bed flat (not in marina or down town) will set you back 120-130,000 aed
2 bed house or flat (marina or downtown) 140-160,000 aed
3 bed house 180,000+ aed

Restaurants are fairly cheap but groceries are very expensive. Cars can be very cheap to own. Buy used from the dealerships that offer warranty and service (easier to get a loan from the bank and usually cheaper than dubizzle, and if it goes wrong you can drive there and shout at people).

I manage to save 1000 usd/month. Hoping to make that 3,000 when I get my fourth stripe. You can have a good life in Dubai and save a bit of cash, but things are getting a lot more expensive recently and FDB are not paying me any more than they did 2 years ago.

Friends of mine got 15% inc on basic and 20% on housing but they don't work for the government. (Locals who do had up to 100% inc in December to cover the increasing cost of Russian ladies amongst other things).

Dubai gov't orders 30-100% pay rise for staff - Banking & Finance - ArabianBusiness.com

Would I recommend anyone to come?

Yes IF you can look the other way when you see people being treated worse than dog****, don't get to stressed driving amongst Indians, if you have children don't expect to save any money as an F/O and like night flying.