PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Grand Canyon Accident: Pilot killed in AS350 rollover
Old 30th May 2014, 15:41
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
Lone wolf I agree, that's why I wrote "should" but as often happens we all make mistakes or poor judgements sometime.

Someone told me that when you become a pilot you get issued with two buckets. One full of Luck and the other, marked "Experience" is empty. The trick being to fill up the Experience bucket before you empty the one marked luck.

I used fly an EMS AS355 which we often landed in the built up areas. As the paramedics ran to the patient I had to often wait the 2 minute turbine cool time before shutdown on scene.

During this time I would friction up and sit with my feet overboard looking at the TR, finger poised on the 700 watt sky shout to deter kids and onlookers from getting too close.

Now, much older, I wondered if what I was doing posed a greater risk to the wider public than the odd person we helped.

It's often easy to convince ourselves that the risks we take are acceptable. "Risky Shift" in its most blatant form.