PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kenya Airways AB Initio Pilot Recruitment
Old 30th May 2014, 07:11
ChegeAviator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hopeful90

Thank you for your kind words. I too was very nervous before each test, but I can tell you that you need to find a way of calming yourself before each test or you might end up making mistakes.

For the first day at KQ HQ, please make sure that all your documents are in order otherwise they will definitely send you home. You have to carry originals for all the documents asked and in the case of a lost ID, a police abstract and a waiting card will do. Passports will not be allowed! You must also have your original University degree, not a signed letter of completion from your department. I saw two guys I was with in JKUAT get turned away with their completion letters signed by the Dean himself. I honestly think that this is unfair, but that's just how KQ operates.

As for the test at DEFTEC, practise on factorising equations, solving quadratics, solving time, distance, speed and relative speed questions, form 1 and 2 Chemistry (they however use outdated chemical terms in most of the questions) I only answered one Chemistry question; form one and two physics, basic mechanical reasoning such as pulleys, gears, levers and loads. If you have Flight Simulator it will help with your speed when solving the aircraft instrument section. It's not necessary that you be familiar with it because they will exhaustively explain how to tackle the section, but if you already know what it's about, you may move quicker.

For Pyschometric and Psychomotor tests, both conducted by Career Connections, you need to be completely rested and I found that avoiding caffeine was the trick to keeping a clear mind in both tests. The email inviting you for the psychometric test tells you there's no need to study for it and it's true that there's no need to study for it. The test used, called The Morrisby Profile, is too wide to be studied for and is designed so that anyone can do it. It's more of a stress test to evaluate how quickly and accurately you can work through the sections under very minimal time. You can google Morrisby Profile and the first find should take you to the test website where you'll find a sample test to familiarise yourself with how the questions and sections are laid out. A rested and clear mind is needed here, I can't stress this enough! You'll come out of the exam room feeling like your brain is dead.

For psychomotor, you also need to be well rested and have cleared your mind. Please avoid caffeine. I found taking glucose was a great help before going in. Among the tests, there are 2 tests that require you to use a very sensitive joystick. The first one is a Flight Director where you're meant to centre crosshairs. Here, continuous and precise motion of the joystick is needed. This test basically depends on how quickly you realise where the crosshairs are heading and what you should do to centralise them. The second is a trax challenge where you fly a plane through hoops. I found that the trick here is to anticipate where the next hoop will be in relation to your plane and nudge the joystick ever so slightly to move the plane into the hoop. Continuous joystick motion might mess you up here. This method gave me 9/10, 10/10 and 10/10. For these two, familiarity with a joystick will be an added advantage. I'd advise you to get Flight Simulator and fly the missions that require you to fly through hoops and ILS approaches. Set your joystick settings to the highest sensitivity.
A friend of mine told me that one can go to the Career Connections offices in Westlands and pay to sit for similar psychometric and psychomotor tests for around Ksh15,000 each. I don't know how true this is but if you feel inclined to go there, feel free.

Next was the medicals. Basically make sure that you're in good health and are completely drug free beforehand. I had a bad cold on the day and I passed, so it looks like they're forgiving on common treatable illnesses.

Then followed by the online tests that are previously described then hopefully the oral interview.

I hope this information is of some help.