PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Channel 7 Sunday Night Program About VH-MDX
Old 30th May 2014, 06:37
thorn bird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inclined to agree with Dick regarding military airspace, I never could understand, in a modern day and age of the cruise missile, the strategic sense of having the means of defense parked right next to the means of supply.
On the odd occasion, when they have enough money, or the mood takes them, RAAF willy have been known to put an aircraft into the air thus blocking nearly all the airspace between Willy and Dubbo in the low to mid FL's to civilian traffic.
I guess it never affected the Rat or other airlines to any extent at high levels, but of course GA at mid levels, well they are just the dregs of the industry, not worthy of consideration.
I've come out of Armidale bound for Wagga in a metro, fifteen in the back, very wide eyed, stuck at 7000 ft in the most appalling weather ( One of those days when you scope the radar and go OH sh..T and turn it off) and had to endure the pounding, severe ice, etc. all the way to Mudgee before I could get a climb, because RAAF Willy had a hard on and an F16 practicing steep turns or whatever, over Singleton. Had to do it a few times in a Citation as well.
Always wondered Dick just how many tails are sticking out of the trees on the Barrington's? bet there's more than officially recognized.