PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who issued pilots licences prior to the CAA?
Old 29th May 2014, 21:42
RedhillPhil

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FL575
Phil,

I am surprised that there has not yet been an answer to your question, as there must be many ex-Royal Air Force pilots who read this column!

The simple answer is no, you do not have a licence as a military pilot.

After you have completed your flying training, you are awarded your ‘wings’. In my time, ‘wings’ were awarded after completion of ‘basic’ flying training (i.e. on completion of Jet Provost flying then) I think today, however, ‘wings’ are awarded upon completion of ‘advanced’ flying training (i.e. Hawk completion today, but Gnat in my time)

The only ‘written’ acknowledgement of this is an entry in your Logbook. At the front of a Military Logbook is ‘Section 1’, ‘Certificates of Qualification as Pilot’. In this section there are 5 columns: Type, Date, Unit, Qualification, Signature and Rank.

So a typical entry in your Logbook would read: Jet Provost, 24/7/80, 3FTS, 1st Pilot Day and Night, A. Person Wg Cdr

After that, as you progress, other aircraft types are added, for example at OCU level, and then Squadron level.

‘Section 2’ of your Logbook is ‘Special Flying Qualifications and Renewals’. This page records dates that you become ‘Operational’ on which type of aircraft. It also can have qualifications such as ‘Combat (ready)’ and in my early days ‘Command Crew’ level. I am not sure that is still around now, though.

‘Section 3’of your Logbook is entitled ‘Instrument Rating’. On this page your instrument rating is recorded. Unlike civilian flying, where you either have a rating or not, in the Military there are ‘grades’ of rating. An inexperienced pilot would have a ‘White’ rating. Whilst holding this rating, the pilot has to add 200ft to any published instrument flying minima.

After a little time, and a certain number of hours, the pilot would take another Instrument Flying test, after which he could obtain a ‘Green’ rating. This would allow the pilot to fly to published instrument flying minima.

Finally, after yet further time and flying, the pilot could take another Instrument Flying test to obtain a ‘Master Green’ rating. This still only allows you to fly to the same minima as a ‘Green’ rating, but you are expected to fly to you limits more accurately and smoothly.

Upon leaving the Royal Air Force, you have no licence, and have to apply to the CAA as a non-RAF person would have to do. However, as an ex-RAF pilot, there are many concessions that you may receive in obtaining your civilian licence, how many depending on your experience etc.

Sorry this is so long-winded, but I hope it gives you some answers to your questions. Please note also, I left the Royal Air Force some time ago, and some of the above information may have changed.

Sorry for the late reply - I lost the thread! Thank you for your reply, it explains it well.