PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interesting Take on Pilot Demand - Flight international Comment
Old 29th May 2014, 21:23
G.S. Willy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel

I've been in this business for more than 25 years and like most with the same or more experience I've heard this song many times before.

In the last 10 years in Europe, terms and conditions for pilots have gotten less and less attractive, this is in my opinion due to a surplus of pilots that never seems to end.

Training organizations are putting these stories out there to attract naive and optimistic young people to spend a fortune training for a dream that still is alive amongst many, despite the fact that in many cases it turns out to be a nightmare. The schools tell the success stories, bragging about all the companies their graduates are working for, nothing is told about the masses that failed to secure a job.

Airlines long ago discovered that they do not have to pay new candidates much to attract good people with a dream.
Some airlines may have gone too far, and now experience a shortage of qualified people willing to take a contract, but all they have to do is improve the conditions slightly and the problem will be solved.

I still have some hope that the shortage might materialize, but so far I cannot see anything indicating this to happen in the near future.