PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Rivet Joint
Thread: RAF Rivet Joint
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2014, 19:26
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
RP:_
One assumes by MOD you mean all of those personnel who work hard on accident investigations, doing their best to find causes and recommend improvements for the future. Bit of a slight for all those who have been involved in numerous perfectly acceptable accident investigations over the years!!
No Roland, by MOD I mean the VSOs presently in post who are aware of the previous suborning of personnel involved in airworthiness provision and air accident investigation and maintain the covering up of it. I mean the Senior Civil Servants that state that such suborning is proper and that to disobey instructions to subvert the regulations is a disciplinary offence. I mean VSOs that overturn the findings of:-
all of those personnel who work hard on accident investigations, doing their best to find causes and recommend improvements for the future.
and substitute their own arbitrary and bizarre findings in their place and yes, I am aware of the CAS's role in a previous life. I mean the MAA that is responsible for airworthiness provision to the MB Mk10 seat for example, whose DG loftily congratulates the MAAIB on the accident report into the death of Sean Cunningham that found that far from having been airworthy it entirely lacked a Safety Case. It might have been more fitting for the MAA to have been cited for dereliction, but of course the MAAIB is nested within the MAA so best not, eh?

I repeat, Airworthiness Regulation and Air Accident Investigation aren't safe anywhere near the MOD. If that's a slight, so be it. The job of an Air Regulator and an Air Accident Investigator is to avoid avoidable accidents and needless deaths, not to continuously have to review them. The only way that works is for the Regulator and Investigator to be independent of the Operator and of each other.
Self Regulation Doesn't Work and in Aviation It Kills!