PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2014, 18:45
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LO,

As you responded, I'll do likewise.

I continue to be slightly sceptical about a Gripen getting off an 800m strip with a full op load. Especially anywhere hot, high or both. (Actually, I've always been a huge fan of the Swedish aircraft industry and think they produce great designs - they just haven't done a STOVL).

To your point about fighters and short runways. As you take off with more weight than you land with and you have the same wing area to do the lifting, its the takeoff (at full load) that's the crippler. Not the landing.

Yes, today's fighters will do a 'STO'. Big wings and lots of thrust will allow them to take off in a short distance. But not at MGTOW. Or anything much near it. Or when it's hot. It's physic, not opinion.. To do a proper 'STO' you need an aircraft that is designed to do one. That means either powered lift of some sort, or aggressive high lift devices.

Sorry, but I will go into your slightly 'conops' point. The USMC are not trying to do 'mass logistics transport'. That's not what they do. If they want really heavy loads they will use CH-53K. That's what they are buying them for. If they want stuff moved fast they'll use MV-22. That's what they bought them for. They have actually thought this stuff through, and they are not idiots. However, they could be wrong, and any of us can disagree with them.

Anyway, have a good one,

Out

Engines