PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 65K Plus for an ATPL?
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2001, 22:39
bow5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I, like Rich Tea, resent being called an ignorant idiot by someone who struggles to command the English language, let alone anything else.

I have spent a lot of time and effort looking at the various options available for ATPL training and the fact is that some schools are better than others. Period. OATS is certainly, in my opinion, one of the better ones - but there are others out there.

People in this post have been saying that you can go elsewhere and get the same licences for a lot cheaper. Fair enough, but in the majority of cases, what you are getting is the licence and nothing more. The same applies to FAA licences - as WWW says, they are not worth the paper they are written on in the EU. The reason OATS' ATPL course is more expensive is because you go on and above the minimum requirements (The MCC course alone is 20hrs in a new 737 sim). That, in my book, equates to a better chance of getting a job. Couple this with the right personal qualities and as far as I can see, you're in with a chance.

If you know anything about business, you will know that every FTO is there first and foremost to make money. That is the nature of the business. Without it they go bust, as recent events have sadly proved. What I believe I should be looking for in an FTO is, therefore, one which has a sound financial base (claim's that OATS are nearly bankrupt are completely without basis and untrue) but one that couples this with good results and job prospects.

No one here who is thinking of going to OATS has stated that it is brilliant and everywhere else is rubbish. That is a ridiculous suggestion. When I found this partnership scheme cost 65k I nearly fell off this chair. Like all of the schools, it has its good and bad points and it is upto the individual to find what is best for them. If that is OATS then they are not a mug for paying the money, because if they can afford it, to me it looks worth it.

As for myself, I will continue to look until I decide which is the best one for me.

[ 29 August 2001: Message edited by: bow5 ]