PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2014, 13:24
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LO,

Thanks.

The runway lengths that were being looked at were, by memory, around 1200 to 1500 feet. C-130 resupply was not a factor, given the CONOPS, which I won't go into.

I understand the arguments you deploy about STOVL on small ships, but perhaps they don't cover all the angles. Firstly, 6 aircraft per deck is when the LHA is fully loaded with all its other RW/V-22 aircraft. The USMC are looking at other Air Group configurations involving more F-35s. The deck is large enough to take them. I personally studied options to put up to 15 on board.

Second, the whole point of ship basing is to get aircraft closer to where they are needed. If you can't afford to get a full up CVN there then STOVL is how you do it. And 6 F-35Bs 10 minutes away are a powerful force in many scenarios. No, it's not mass air power. It's not 'shock and awe'. It's using aircraft from the sea. And it's what the USMC are determined to do.

The A-10 is not a credible aircraft these days in anything other than total air superiority and a low threat environment. It's a goner and I suspect you know that. You mention an '800 m-runway supersonic multi-role fighter that is half the size and cost of the F-35B'. Could you elaborate on what that is. please? And is '800m' taking off with a meaningful operational load?

And it's not 66 deck spots, LO. It's whatever the USMC can wring out of their decks, plus the QECs, plus whatever the other customers going for the B end up doing with them. My guess is somewhere over 100 F-35Bs sea basing in the future. But that's just my guess.

Look, LO, I know we are coming at this from totally different angles. And I respect your opinions. I hope you respect mine (and the facts that go with them).

Best Regards really

Engines