PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thomas Cook
Thread: Thomas Cook
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2014, 11:13
EGAC is Better

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No-one said it was a ride in the park for crew but the big difference is crew haven't forked out hundreds of pounds for the flights, and indeed they will get flight pay and disruption pay. So whilst it's an inconvenience it's also more pounds in their pockets.

I think we are digressing from the original point that ground crew should be empowered to give more valuable information during disruption.
I see the point in terms of paying for a service that didn't work out as expected. Nsthee has been on the wrong end of a bad experience and should be compensated for the same.

I am not defending TCX here, I am not employed by them or anyone in the industry. I am an interested observer who always dreamt of a forward facing office at the front of a composite tube, high in the sky and trying to be objectively reasonable.

When I mentioned crew I wasn't entirely clear that I meant flight deck, cabin and ground. In this case it seems communication was poor but lets not forget that a replacement aircraft was found and did deliver most pax without a massive delay. Crew also have a right to be upset when they have to deal with grumpy pax when they too have had their plans thrown in the air.

In terms of empowering ground staff, in principle I agree. From a business perspective I can also see why that wouldn't be wise due to compensation requirements for delays which can be deemed within the control of the airline. In life customers demand cheaper holidays and share holders demand greater profit margins, the reality of trying to achieve both means that use customers sometimes get left high and dry. The result is that a few unfortunate souls are left picking up the pieces and generally get no thanks.