PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why can't I use a METAR for MDA?
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2003, 19:58
AMRAAM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking QNH OK, ILS "What the"

Hi All

I think the QNH source thing has been well answered now. But I still haven't found the add 50ft if AREA QNH used. Can someone post a reference. (jepps please)

As for the ILS, there was a good discussion on this at work the other day.

The add to the minima clause if indicating high at the OM check height appears to be gone.

The wording of the new paragraph says, "unexplained discrepancy". to me this means if you can account for the discrepancy then you don't need to "discontiue the approach".

ie. You are slightly high on the GS, Yea I know that NEVER happens, and the alti check is slightly high. well the discrepancy is explained !.

I think the following questions are also valid for the ILS,

1. "Discontinue the approach", well now do you conduct the Missed approach or change to the Localizer ?, any ideas.

2. How far do we stretch, or when does an "Unexplained Discrepincy", become an explainable one.

PS, unless it has changed, and I must say I have not looked, the AIP/Jepps do say that the company is responsible for decaling the minimums to be used given performace and procedure considerations for aircraft and approaches. Sort of saying that, here are the absolute minimus, now you work out what you want to add for your operation. Oh and by the way if you prang, its your fault entirely.