PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All those that flew for Discover (f)lying on the Penguin runs
Old 27th May 2014, 09:14
flying-spike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holes in the cheese

When I arrived the act was down at the hangar. When I got there the battery and air bottle were out pending payment for the work. Back to the hangar for one of "sir's" rubber cheques then back to pick up the acft.
Ground run and functional check without stopping at 20 deg (would have picked up the asymmetry if we had). Flap indicator is only connected to right flap and you can't see how much is out from the cockpit.
Because I was late I was last in the line of aircraft taxiing for the island so nobody behind me to notice. The plug in the cheese? I read in the crash comic of a Heron in Fiji that crashed with a similar problem and wondered what I could do in a similar event. There was a different cause but same symptoms.
It took fully crossed aileron, a boot load of rudder and asymmetric power to turn. I didn't pull the gear up or touch the flap for fear of losing more air pressure and lose control. I took full flap over the threshold and it evened up and to top it off had a completely unrelated electrical fire up through the throttle quadrant on the roll through.
A bad day at the office!