PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Approval for Aerobatics
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2014, 01:41
goldfish85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For FAA certification, all Acrobatic Category airplanes must pass the intentional spin tests.

There is no single spin recovery technique required for FAA Part 23 spin approval. Whatever spin technique the manufacturer wants is place in the AFM or POH. If the airplane is to be approved for intentional spins, there is a whole gamut of 'abused spin recoveries." to be flown. These are rudder only, elevator only, airlerons with and agains, etc. These can take a large number of spin tests involving hundreds of spins. It's even more complicated by requirements to rig the elevator at 1 deg beyond the normal up stop and 1 deg short of the normal down stop. The rudder is rigged at 1 degree more than the right stop and 1 degree less than the maintenance requirement. (For left spins, switch those two.)

Spin recover using normal controls must be accomplished within 1-1/2 turn. There is no requirement for number of turns for abused spins, only that the airplane must recover eventually somehow.

Thus one will do all left spins one day and all right spins the next day. One will usually (if smart) start with forward cg and work the cg aft.

My most interesting spin test involved a (redacted) airplane. I had done all of the normal recovery spins (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 turns) in both directions and was now doing the abused recovery. I had down all of the elevator only spins and all of the rudder-only spins to the left. I did 1, 2, 3, and 4 turns spins. On the five turn spin to the right (next to last in the matrix, the spin went flat and continued that way until I decided it wasn't going to recover. I put in pro-spin controls (right rudder, stick was already back) and it eventually went into a normal spin, from which i recovered. The recovery was 17-1/2 turns.

By the way, this was a pass because I was able to recover. I did persuade the company not to pursue spin approval.

In some flight regimes, only God understands the equations on motion. At high angles-of-attack, God's not sure

The Goldfish